Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dealing with Stress take 2

In case that you are reading this post, there is a chance that you read my blog post about Stress.
This post was transformed twice: first, I turned it into an article in Tea Time with testers magazine, than it became a presentation in QA&Test 2013 conference at Bilbao, Spain.

The conference was awesome. Hospitality was great. I had an opportunity to get to meet and share ideas
with many cool testers from all over the world. I was also able to experience presenting at an International conference.

Besides the format change – from a blog post to an article and then into a presentation, the ideas themselves emerged and developed as I got a lot of feedbacks while working on the material.

The main idea behind the work is the need to connect our Stress tests to the user’s needs . To do that, I suggest categorizing our Stress tests and failures into 3 main categories: Multiple experiments, Stability over time and Load.
While working on the presentation I added a few aspects which are connected to the failure classification and Stress test planning:
·         Assessment of risk when selecting risky flows for multiple experiments.
·         Taking in account the impact of the product on the system stability.
·         The need to find good oracles beyond the official requirements when defining the load and stability targets.
·         Perform load tests of few types :
o   The largest amount of data or actions which has meaning  for the users
o    The full capacity of the product – in order to spot degradation in the capacity before they has impact on the users.
·         Use good logging mechanism to gather data on all the experiments that your stress performs.
·         Monitor the system resources in order to quickly find stability issues .
Since I was scheduled to present on the last day of the conference, I had some time to get inspiration from a few people that I met during the 1st two days. The night before the presentation, I changed the summary slide from a list into a mind map that summarizes my takes on the subject.

I am publishing the mind map and would like to ask you to review it and contribute to my initial work on that. I promise to give you credit if you’ll provide meaningful input.

Click to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: In order to avoid SPAM, comments are moderated before they are published.